I won't wax poetic or philosophical about what I think the new season means to all of us. Instead, here are 10 things to do to remind yourself it's spring:
- Go for a walk and look for signs of spring. Include your kids, and don't forget the camera: you just might take the prize-winning entry for the National Wildlife Federation Photo Contest.
- Attend a local home and garden show.
- Live in an arid climate? Consider a succulent garden.
- Stop wearing boots, even if you think they make you look slimmer and really hot. Please, never wear boots with shorts. I saw a woman in LA last night wearing this combo with a crocheted poncho. I was waiting for Stacy and Clinton to pop out with their trash can and make her discard the get-up before heading to New York for a $5,000 makeover. Never happened.
- Open your swimming pool or spa.
- Think about replacing some of the plants surrounding your pool.
- Go to a flea market and look for vintage or used patio furniture.
- Check for leaks outside your house.
- Take pictures of your patio and submit them to this site's Patio Project Show & Tell.
- Do one or more of the things on this other list, "Where to Go to Get Ideas."
Photo of succulent rosettes by Lisa Hallett Taylor